Applewood Chicken Heroes
- 20 min
- 20 min
- 2 servings
Not all heroes wear capes. Some remain in the shadows, some carry a stethoscope and others are drenched in cheese. Yup, the chicken heroes are here to save the day. No hunger is too great and no tastebud is too picky. Ok, enough with the hero jokes. What exactly, are chicken heroes. Well… The exact reason behind the name of this vigilante hunger quencher remains pretty mysterious. Some say that it comes from the word gyros (yup, the Greek sandwich) but it seems that our masters of satiety, the chicken heroes, made their entrance a whopping 20 years before their Greek nemesis. Some say that you have to be a hero to finish such a massive sandwich and that is where the name comes from. Like many other hero, these chicken heroes seem to hide behind a secret identity. Hoagies, subs, Italian sandwiches… The chicken heroes are masters of disguise. If you need them, do not fear! No need to light up a bat signal or call a secret phone line. All you need to do is start up some hot coals and follow this recipe and the chicken heroes will quickly come to your rescue.
To sum things up: Not all heroes wear capes. Some remain in the shadows, some carry a stethoscope and others are drenched in cheese.
Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Preheat your grill for direct grilling.
- Season chicken thighs on both sides with Applewood Barbecue Rub.
- Place chicken thighs on the hot grill grate and cook until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 170°F on an instant read thermometer, about 6 to 8 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken from the grill and let rest at room temperature for 5 minutes. Slice and set aside. Grill sub rolls for 10 seconds.
- In a preheated skillet, saute the bell peppers in olive oil until slightly charred. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and whisk in the flour to make a roux. Stir in the whole milk then add the shredded cheddar cheese. Simmer until desired consistency, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Assemble the chicken heros into grilled sub rolls with sauteed bell peppers, grilled chicken and nacho cheese sauce.